Friday, October 17, 2008

A Good Sign Emerges

"Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did." (Newt Gingrich)

Last night's victory was a good sign for the Isles. No - not the fact that they blew a 2 goal lead in the third period, or that they appeared to play Gordon's system for 40 minutes and then started to look a little lazy & tired. The fact that they didn't quit and kept fighting back to scratch out a win. When the Rays tied it at 2-2, it looked bad. You could see a momentary & collective slumping of the shoulders of the guys on the ice. It looked like the Isles were getting tired from all the work they did in the first 40 minutes. In the past, I would have shut the TV off, gone to bed, and expected to wake up this morning and read about a loss -- and not just any loss - but a painful one, where the winning goal is scored on some defensive breakdown or scramble in front of the net with under a minute to play. We've all seen plenty of those in the past few years. But I decided to take my chances & leave the TV on and see what this team is made of - and I was able to go to bed with a smile on my face (and not just from my post-game celebration with the wifey!).

The Isles' aggressive play and fast skating put them right back in front. They kept moving the puck and pressing. I was really impressed with their aggressive attack on the PK. I used to scream from my seat in section 318 (or from my couch) for them to put pressure on the point men - skate at them and force them to make a play instead of sitting in the box defense and hope to break up a bad pass. I like Gordon's aggressive approach. Sure, they will inevitably get burned on occasion. But is seems to be working and is more exciting to watch.
I think we are starting to see some really good things. Now, like the players, the fans (including yours truly) need to have a little patience as this team gels, the young guys develop, and they get better in the system. Perseverance.
Next up - the return of DP
MLD




No comments: