Monday, October 20, 2008

An Absence of Offense Can Be Offensive!


"Futility = playing a harp before a buffalo" (Author unknown).

On Saturday night that could have read: "Futility = believing the Isles will have a consistent offense." OK, against Florida they weren't dreadful - but that's like getting excited about only having to eat half a sh*t sandwich instead of a whole one. The Isles play was sloppy and they generated very little in the way of decent scoring chances. Vokoun easily brushed aside those high-percentage shots from the outside, the one's from past the circle, and the lazy floaters from the point. The Isles were definitely out skated -Florida has some speed - and they used it to neutralize the Isles' speed.

Oh well - you win some and then you lose a few more. As predicted - this season will be filled with ups & downs. Looking at the games against the Blues, then the Sabres, then Tampa, then Florida - I feel like I am riding a see-saw with this team. One night they skate well and put the puck in the net and the next night they get outplayed and barely look capable of sustaining any offensive pressure. This teams makes me think of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!!! Only I wish we saw a little more Mr. Hyde and a lot less of that pansy do-gooder Dr. Jekyll.

Alas - for me, the dilemma became - how do I explain the Isles' inconsistency to my boys? The answer - I don't, I just tell them the Isles, like everyone else, occasionally have an off day. Like when Daddy comes home smelling like booze and rants about the mean Mr. Prickstein he works for and then shouts at & argues with Mommy, and then Daddy cries like a little girl and takes his "medicine" and then..... ahem.... a little off course here. That of course, never happens to yours truly. I digress - like I said - I chalk it up to a "bad day" and tell my boys the Isles just need to work harder and it will take time for them to adjust to such a different system. Then I gently pat my boys on their heads, send them off to bed with a warm cup of milk, and look for the misses to help console me!!!!

Next up... I'm seeing Stars!!!
MLD

No comments: