Friday, November 27, 2009

Good Old Fashioned Barn Hockey!!

Tonight I took the family to see some good old-fashioned AHL hockey. We went to the Glen's Falls Civic Center in the Adirondack mountains and saw the Adirondack Phantoms v. Hershey Bears. This is old-school, drop the gloves, grind it out in the corners hockey. Saw 5 goals and 3 fights. Typical AHL game.

One observation did come as a surprise to me -- if this was an NHL game there would have been about 25-30 additional penalties called. The tripping, clutching & grabbing, kneeing, high-sticking, roughing, and interference that went on in this game was mind-boggling! How do these guys expect to play in the NHL if they perfect their game with this style of play. It's madness. Now before you go accusing me of being all sissy-like and into a more European-style game - think again. I think they call too much in the NHL these days - it's almost like you can't even brush up against a guy sometimes without having the referee raise his arm. I grew up watching the Isles of the late 70's into the 80's -- back when every team had a roster spot filled by a resident goon. So I am not adverse to fights and physical play. It's just that this game was ridiculous.

Anyway -- what really made me happy was that hockey returned to Glen's Falls!!! My family has been going to the Glen's Falls/Adirondacks for 35+ years and I used to go see the Red Wings, and then the Frostbite. So I was saddened when the town was without a team for a few years. So while the quality of the play was sloppy and undisciplined, I was glad to see that they were at least playing hockey again in the Civic Center.

MLD

No comments: