Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Some Family Fun

I know in the past I've written in a very negative fashion about the Coliseum. It is a dump you know. But my assessment of the facility is not a reflection on the Isles -- they are stuck playing in that horrible round eyesore. That said -- I do enjoy going to the games. The "unpleasant" part of going to games is being forced to enter that hideous mausoleum. I'd rather the Isles played on some outdoor pond or even a frozen puddle in some parking lot. At least the ambiance would be better.

That being said -- the actual "game experience" has been good this year. That is a credit to the Isles. Now, by nature I am NOT a lucky person. I generally don't win raffles, 50/50's, door prizes or even a measly $2 from lotto. Now I am not complaining here -- I've been blessed in other ways. A terrific family, a job I love, good health. But those things are more the result of hard work & personal choices. You know - like I'll date that nice girl instead of the easy lay, or I'll pass on the second slice of cheesecake and maybe do a few dozen crunches in the morning instead of stuffing my pie hole with all kinds of crap.

But this year -- for some odd reason -- I've hit a bit of a lucky streak. Of course, naturally, the pessimist in me is sure that my increased luck in situations of chance means I'll be getting cancer or things at work will take a horrific turn south. But that's just me.

Here are some of the "lucky" things that have happened this year -- all Isles related -- that have made my trips to the Coli a little easier to stomach.

1 -- Over the summer, at the open house for season ticket holders (of which I am one) I won a lucky drawing that gave me a luxury suite for a game this season.

2 -- About a week and a half before the start of the season -- I get an email from the Isles that I have been accepted as one of the bloggers for this season.

3 -- At the Isles/Rangers game a few weeks ago, as me and my boys take our seats, we are approached by a "Game Ops" person and told we will be the lucky fan seat upgrade winners. I moved from my seats in section 318 down to the 200's near where the tunnel is where the Isles enter & leave the ice.

4 -- One recent game, my sons & I caught 2 tee-shirts from the wicked Gatling gun.

5 -- I got a letter in the mail from the Isles about a month and a half ago telling me I could have one of the new 3rd jerseys for free since I was both a full season & partial season ticket holder.

6 -- 2 weeks ago I got another letter from the Isles that as a season ticket holder, they were giving me for free a copy of the DVD containing the "great" Islander games of the past.

I've had a few other odd things occur - unrelated to the Isles or hockey -- that has given me pause and a reason to think about my status as a "lucky person." So yes, I broke down and bought Mega Millions lotto tickets the last several weeks -- no winners yet, its now at $171 million. Hey, you never know.

Now that my luck has turned --- maybe the same will happen to the Isles. I think some of the good luck that is out there is self-created. Garth seems to have a plan for this team. I think it is one that makes sense. Now they just need a little luck and maybe there will be some really good reasons -- like the product on the ice instead of merely a fancy barn -- to come to the Lighthouse in a few years.

Next up: Roster Merry-Go-Round -- yes, trade talk
MLD

No comments: